Monday, December 31, 2007

The Messenger

Before me she appeared, a Messenger of faith and hope. Her hair was curly, her brown skin as pure and smooth as the butter freshly after being churned. Her lips were delicate, but her eyes held the wisdom of one hundred lives. She had come to me as I needed her now.

I looked up, when I had the courage to see her and I uttered with a shake in my voice, “Understand I no longer have the strength of a woman, or the pride of a man. I have opened my heart so many times, only to be left demented and broken like shattered glass, completely un-manned. No that with me no longer the need for her touch exists. For now I long for a lover who’s heart bleeds for the sight of me, too hold me close and softly caress inside of me. My fight is constant to be patient and believe, but I know as the rules dictate, I must wait for her to find me. What a terrible shame, I only see myself to blame.”

She turned to me, a smile across her face. She looked inside me, than turned to look me in my face. She placed her hand on my cheek and stroked it gently with empathy for me, she spoke:
“My child you have desperately lost your way. No matter how many times love abandons you through the cold hand of another’s touch, you must remain strong with the sensitivity of human touch. So many unfortunates, turn into pillars of steel. It is the will of your heart, your passion for her, that you will find your way back to me.”

A tear rolls down the side of my face. I am standing with my eyes squeezed tight and I realize my state of utter disgrace. I let out a howl that seems to make the sky turn gray, all the birds turn around and quickly fly away.

I try and breath and step back into my words, “I do not know how much more I can take, I feel that sadness is my only constant landscape. I have tired to be good, I have tried to be kind. I have love and supported, been open towards her mind. But what has it got me, memories that will fade in time? Tears on my pillow, that fall with the strength of my mind. They fall hard and my spirit feels ill. I long for her touch and her beauty to reveal.”

I look up and seek her, the Messenger's eyes to see the truth, “Do not think too much about that which was once yours, that which you have lost. Keep faith that the light will conquer darkness and that which you have fought for, the namesake of love will always remain in the hearts of those you have touched. Be free, do not give up on me.”

With the blink of an eye, she was gone. I looked in the mirror and swore to be the woman I had fought to be. Love is my arrow and faith is my shield. Stand aside if you do not wish to believe in me.

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave."
-Mahandas Ghandi

No comments: