Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Trade Showed Out!


Oh my my my! Not like Johnny Gill...no no. I speak of exhaustion, breathing with a whimper. This past weekend I had a flashback to my BOOM! Marketing days...or as I like to refer to it, "The Dark Ages."

Saturday, I attended "Lifefest" with GF and G-BF (G-best friend) in tow. People, it was absolute madness. I had never seen such serpentine women, slithering around for free product--all up in my grill! If one more fat, ugly woman hit me with her purse, I was ready to open a can of whoop ass!

We stood like ready pilgrimagers, ready to devote a journey to the top of Mount Pious. Instead, we made our way up the "mountain" for free product! The irony kids, I was a promo whore for a few years. Being an ex-employee of a marketing company, I had been exposed to every event and trade show in the GTA. Sad, but true. I was like a carnie, with product. Doo dooo dooo!
In fact, I was re-united with many of my old colleagues, and they were still as stressed and skinny as I had left them. Oh the days of BOOM!-- underpaid, under-appreciated and overworked.

But the highlight of the event, beside the yummy fruit juices, was when my GF and G-BF going on a shop-lifting spree!! All while I schmoozed with the BOOM!-slaves. DAMN LADIES! I was so impressed! They came back stage in the product area with me and when I approached them after some chit-chat, they had bags full of product. Bitches be crazeeee!! No one can say that I am Miss Sticky Fingers anymore. They were the culprits! Karmacake had enough cleaning product to clean Buckingham Palace and Melissa, being the modest creature she is, enough to clean for four hole months! Good job, my girls! Don't worry, I got me some of theirs!

Fast forward to Monday, ABA (Allied Beauty Association) Show. Hair people, HAIR! With my fierce friend and loving hairdresser, KJC at my side, I entered the Metro Toronto Convention Centre again! *flashbacks*

GUrrrl, all this fierce hair up in my face! It was very exciting. There were demo stages from brands such as Aveda, KMS, L'Oreal, Schwarz, Redken and Rusk. This was my first hair show, so all the cutting, styling and colour demos were absolute eye candy to me. Some of the models had some innovative and amazing hair. KJC and I hunted through the isles like lionesses in heat-- bargins bargins!! We walked away with some real cheap product and KJC, a new pair of cutting scissors!



All that know me, know I have a major fetish for hair. Hair is like on of the 6 careers I would really want to do. Though KJC was there as a legitimate hair dresser, I just soaked it all up. But then 2pm hit....exhaustion hit. Walking the circuit over two days, for two different shows and a bad nights sleep....it all came falling down. So off we went for a meal and a bevie.

Special note: KJC, that sangria was the most offensive thing I have ever put in my mouth. EVER!

It was a fun day, despite my exhaustion. I would have like to see some more interaction with curly hair (I only saw it at Aveda) and black hair. Us ethnic folk got hair too!!

Now it is time for me to crawl back into hibernation until next year. Into the darkness I go....memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

business.
goodness.
wow.
we rock
-Karmacake