Friday, November 23, 2012

Art Art Revolution

An artist has an most interesting ability, to share himself/herself as to provoke others in thought and emotion. Like an talented seamstress weaving a tale, it is for the audience to decipher whether an artist is shining a truth that is personal or universal - but for me both are the same. People often wonder and ask me why am I so open about me? All I can say is that is who I was born to be. You see, for me my writing is my catharses, that gives me the ability to hopefully relate to those in the same scenarios as me, those who harbour the same spirit and thoughts that I carry inside of me. I am not about closing my experiences off, I am about working with them out to guide me stronger towards the most current, hopefully stronger and wiser carnation of me.

If there is any encouragement I could give, it would be that people seek art. Art has since the beginning of time, been a tool to communicate humanity in all its triumphs, beliefs, fails and ponderings. I make a valid effort to see performing arts of all kinds, to read books, go to art shows and museums and even see films. More often than not, when I am exposed to art I feel so blessed and empowered to be alive. Not one genre of art is more powerful than another. A portrait of Frida is no less powerful than the words of Rumi, Susie Burpee is no less powerful than a Fleetwood Mac song, Michelangelo is no less a genius than Picasso. We are so lucky to live in a country of free expression, where the voice of one is valued equally to the voice of many.

We all invest in buying new clothes, gas for our cars, rents/mortgages and so much more. I urge you to make it a part of your routine to support artists, as they are some of the bravest people you will meet. I am sure in your wallet you can spare some cash to feed your soul, for you will never know what you do not seek. In fact, art is all around us for free, if we just make the time to see, hear, read and listen. Expose yourself to art because it is a preservation of our humanity. It is what makes us human.

If you have a talent, don't be afraid to use it. Whether it is private or public that you feel you wish to show your gift, this is up to you. If you decide to go public, know that those will accuse you of sharing too much, sharing too little, being too graphic, not being descriptive enough - but just do what makes you feel good and right. This is not about anyone else, this is your legacy to leave behind. Never sensor yourself because your art is a channeling of the divine.

No comments: