Thursday, March 25, 2010

Self-Employee

If one journey is about to end, is it only natural that another begins? Each day we spend so much of our time dedicating ourselves to our employers. Yes, the place that most of us spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and others even more. I have never stayed in one place for too long, that is the way that my jobs have unraveled before me. Some would say that I am a woman of many hats that is driven by my passion to support the arts and artists.

I have never been someone who won't accept a new challenge, or go somewhere that is outside of my acquired skill sets. I think it is good to push yourself to be the best that you can be professionally, to learn by watching those who are experts in their fields--while also spending time becoming better at what it is that you have been given the responsibility of doing.

There is a fine line that needs to be drawn when is comes to your self-respect and your workplace. You see, I know that I am not just a menial worker who pushes button and delivers good without never knowing what is in the package. As I have grown older I have come to see that I no longer want to just work for an organization that utilizes me but that also values me.

I really appreciate the independence that has emerged for me as a part-time freelance worker, I am the master of my own will. This is a very empowering and testing position to be in; essentially the time and effort you put in as a freelancer drives only your personal results, not that of another's organization. I encourage all creative minds, those with a passion that they have buried because they became a part of the Borg collective to remember who they are. Make time to fulfill your dreams the way you had thought of seeing them being realized when you were a youth and saw yourself in the future. Now is the future, you hold the power. Make that change.

No comments: