Thursday, January 1, 2009

Crazier, Sexier & Cooler: TLC

I remember going to Kingswood Music Theatre to see the TLC on their CrazySexyCool tour. Alongside my best friend, Dee, we had grown to love TLC and even adapted their personas into our own lives. Dee was all about Chilli, and I was all about T-Boz, but we had love for them as a unit. We were in the second row and I remember T-Boz touching my hand while she was sitting at the edge of the stage and singing “What About Your Friends.” Lord, I admit, I even got my haircut with the two long pieces to the side, just like T-Boz (no I will never show you these pictures).
TLC remains my favourite girl group of all time. If you really think about it, they were first to nail the Girl Power concept that the Spice Girls later used to sell their albums and images. On the other hand, unlike the Spice Girls, these women were highly creative and full of sheer talent. I can still throw on TLC on any given day and I find myself bopping and singing to their smooth R & B sounds. Starting with the image they cemented for themselves on “Ooooh on the TLC Tip,” to the sexy and sultry “CrazySexyCool,” followed by the innovative sounds of “Fanmail,” to finally their sheer dedication to finish “3D” after a car accident claimed Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes in 2002.

TLC remains a rarity of female group talent that has only been rivaled by the likes of En Vogue and Destiny’s Child. From TLC’s emergence in 1992 until today, these girls know how to kick their game and turn on my red light special.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVING THIS.

I will be an "Ooooh, On The TLC Tip" girl till the day i DIE. My fave album out of all the rest, haven't stopped listening to it on the regular in 17 years! And yes, it was completely about female empowerment-- not the quasi-feminism, transitory marketing zeitgiest that was The Spice Girls (though, not gon' lie-- huge Spice Girl fan in '96, hay~).

Anyway, Hat 2 Da Back, This Is How It Should Be Done, Dat's Da Way We Like 'Em, Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg (I was 10 years old, sangin' that song like I knew what was up), HIStory- those were all my jams, and I really got where they were coming from, and most importantly, I loved how they made me feel. It was just a natural extension to be you, to be an individual, flip off those who didn't get you and speak out against foolery. I credit these mamas for who I am today, no word of a lie. When I think back on the music that really impacted me, that first made me stop and really say: "Fight The Power"... it was TLC and it was 1992.
-Stella

PROVOKEMEinc said...

Stelliyah! You are my true soul sistren...straight out! For me it was CrazySexyCool that is my favourite work of theirs. I listen to is all the time. I loved watching these ladies grow from Ohhhh days, into the women they came out as with power/sexy ballads on CrazySexyCool. Similar to you, these ladies helped me into my womanhood, to question the institutions around me, and to remind me that I am beautiful, though I did not look like the skinny beyaches in da magazines. They could be as much fun, as real. I recall them saying TLC could also stand for "titty-less-crew." Shoooot! Stella I continue to adore you!!!!