Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Joss & Amy's Caucasian Flavour

So, here at the House of Provocation, we identify soul[full] music to be a central source of emotional and physical joy, reflection and relation. Generally, when we think of our favourite soulful musicians in North American society, we are transported to an earlier time of history.

In my opinion, the spirit of soul is most popular and transparent when listening to Motown Classics. I just can't help but get excited every time I see the commercial for the Time Life Soul Collection...I get sucked in every time! Oh Girl...the Delfonics. Just My Imagination...The Temptations. Damn, these are the oldies, but soul goodies.

So this got me thinking: what non-black artists out there today, are successful and respectful at appropriating the powerful and ultimate proto-type, that African Americans have molded soul[full] music into?

Two artists quickly jumped to mind:

1) --Joss Stone--




It is hard to believe that this girl is not even twenty yet! I was first introduced to Joss, when my brother bought me her first album, Soul Sessions , a few Christmas' ago. Damn, the minute I put it on, this saucy-Brit had my attention. With soulful ballads like, "The Choking Kind," and "Victim of a Foolish Heart," this white girl was working it out! Her music was simple, not burying the meaning of her lyrics, or hiding the rawness of her young, yet wise voice.

How do we know that this girl has succeeded in connecting within the already established realm of soul[full] music??

Joss Stone has sold more than 7.5 million albums worldwide; been nominated for four Grammy Awards; appeared onstage with the Soul-Gods: James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Patti Labelle, Mavis Staples, Donna Summer, and Smokey Robinson. Damn, the girl was even on Oprah! Joss has managed to capture the hearts of many music fans with her warm vintage soul, Motown girl-group harmonies and fiercely jazzy grooves. Respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOBMie_qQeI

2) --Amy Winehouse--




They tryed to make her go to rehab, she said : "No! No! No!" Another vocal threat from the UK! Fresh from her triumphant performance at the Brits, where she picked up the British Female Solo Artist award, Amy Winehouse has her much anticipated new single, ”Back To Black”, released on April 16th. This album is yummy to the soul and quenches the appetite. Another young-mature star recieving international acclaim, Amy seems to workout some darker personal issues then Joss. Joss' music seems to pivot primarily, around the fullfillment and angst of love.

In fact, Ms. Winehouse was in Toronto this past weekend, lamenting it out to a sold out crowd. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_r9GVdl9A

In comparison to Joss, Amy has one key artistic advantage: she writes all her own music. That is not only refreshing, but exciting to a sould lova like me!

Her raw and sultry voice is something that just seems to stay in my head all day long. I hear it and I can't stop singing it! Not your a-typical soul/jazz singer. Big-ups to this twenty-three year old, English-Jew from North London. Pass me over some Winehouse!

So kids, if you get the time, check out these two extremely talented female soul artists. It seems the UK is a breeding ground for some exciting, non-conventional soul singers with talent. So to that, I say OYE!!

No comments: