Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Goodbye Golden Girl: Estelle Getty Dies at 84


This news is simply devastating, in the words of Blanche Deveroux. Dear, sweet and beyond cute, Estelle Getty passed away this morning at the age of 84, her son confirmed with a statement. Her family and friends were at her side in her home in Los Angeles home and 3 days short of her 85th birthday.

The time could not have been more odd for me. The Golden Girls have always been and remain one of my favourite shows of all time. Last week a friend of mine gave me season one on DVD and I watched 15 episodes in 3 days. So good people. The joy that Estelle's character, Sofia Petrillo has given me with her blunt tongue and through prancing around with her little straw purse and judging people is beyond imaginable. You can't forget her "picture it, Sicily..." stories. Though she was little, she packed a most hilarious punch and a mean left hand! Her comedic time was genius, her punch lines are unforgettable. I, in fact remember watching The Golden Girls with my Ba (grandma) and her telling me that "the old woman" was her favourite. My Ba had an appreciation for the funny when she saw it.

Getty had been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia but she has been suffering from poor health over the recent years. In 1988 Getty won an Emmy for outstanding supporting actress in a comedy series for her work in Golden Girls.

Goodbye my golden friend, you will be missed and remembered.

1 comment:

RoxyKitty said...

Awww i loved Estelle I wanted to be like her when I got old. Frisky and full of attitude lol

I hope it's ok that I'm contacting you on here I could't find your email.

I was going through your page and really enjoyed it. I thought that you might be a great candidate for a program i'm working on

I'm contacting you because I work for a word of mouth marketing company based in Toronto. For the program that I am currently working on I'm looking for women that are influential and have blogs like yourself with hopes that you'd be willing to participate in a short survey about our beauty/hygiene products. If you qualify you would be sent some free products for you to try out and review.

The survey doesn't take much of your time and id love to get a chance to connect with you and get your valuable feedback!

Please feel free to email me back at cynthia@matchstick.ca and you can let me know if your interested and how best to further contact you.

Thanks in advance,

Cynthia
Matchstick