Friday, January 25, 2008

Sunshine Through My Window

Today in the morning I was on the subway. I saw the most beautiful baby boy. He was about 3 years old, all bundled up and in his stroller and looking sharp. I looked at his royal cuteness with a smile and he smiled right back at me. He brought tears to my eyes. I got emotional at the thought of how much hope he had in his eyes, how much genuine affection he was giving me, a stranger, through his sweet smile.

I have a 9-year old niece, Sienna and I love her more than anything in the world. She is my sunshine. Seeing her go through transitions from a child to a kid is constant reminder of how awkward and tough life can be. When she falls, she stands right back up. When she cries because the girls at school have teased her about her curly hair, or made her feel bad about being a certain way, her mama wipes away her tears and tells her how beautiful she is inside and out. Her mama tells her that she will feel better soon enough and sure enough, she does. But it is never easy feeling things, it is easy to not feel things and be the bully.


I love watching her in her mind. She can sit and read for hours, or sit and draw such lovely pictures of all the people she loves. It really warms my fuzzy little heart. She is a beautiful and sensitive little mind. She harbors such strength and sensitivity and comforts anyone with her gentle embrace. She is my snuggle bunny.

To Sienna, Aunt P is amazed by you everyday. You have a miraculous way of healing my soul and my broken heart. May I have the strength to always protect you and provide you with a positive role model. Never forget who you are, my little star.
I love you Sienna-Soleil!

Children are all we have to make this world a better place, they are our hope for a brighter future. Teach them to be wise and never give up on being good, kind people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Paz, this kid has an uncanny way of making you feel wonderful, even when everything around you may be crumbling.
I think it's just what children do; they reduce everything to the most common denominator so the only thing left is what is important. It's funny what happens to you when you're a parent...you become stronger & weaker at the same time. Stronger because you are able to access reserves of strength that you never knew you had just so that your child will never need for anything...not just materially but spiritually & emotionally.
However; you become weaker because you are now so scared...frightened that the world out there is too harsh for a child and even more, terrified that you are not doing a good enough job raising this amazing little human being that has been gifted into your care.
All in all, I feel lucky...so very privileged that this lovely little human being trusts and loves me implicitly.
How did I get so lucky?
m.